Trademark Search Challenges
Trademark search efforts are complex. You should conduct a trademark search before filing a trademark application. Accordingly, using an attorney is a good idea.
Where to Conduct a Search
Firstly, you can conduct a trademark search by going to the USPTO website. Indeed, USPTO stands for “United States Patent and Trademark Office”. Then, on the website, you will find a software system called TESS. Next, this system allows you to conduct trademark searches.
Also, consider having an attorney conduct the search.
Benefits to Having Your Attorney Conduct a Search
- Ease of navigating the many legal requirements,
- Attorneys can answer legal questions from the USPTO, and
- Allow you to have the best chance of obtaining a registration.
To determine several things:
- If your trademark or service mark is registrable,
- The likelihood of confusion with another mark, and
- Whether your mark is strong enough to justify registration.
A Strong Trademark is Vital
Also, answering these questions will help determine the strength of your trademark: